Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Goombah,

meant to ask you....did the convention manage to leave your city in one piece?

Between the deep Finals run and the RNC, that's a lot of money pumped into the local economy this year.

Also, I was told by a guy from Cleveland that as happy as the people are about the ring, that it's a football town first and foremost and that if Browns ever win Superbowl...the celebration would dwarf what happened this year. Agree or disagree?

Hi Getthesenets,

Luckily, I had plenty of vac time so I took off the week of the RNC. By all accounts, it went off without a hitch. There was one protestor who burned a flag, but also stupidly managed to catch themself on fire. Other than that, the police outnumbered the protestors significantly.

Yes, Cleveland is a football first city. NE Ohio and the state have long football traditions. It goes back to Paul Brown and his revolutionary innovations. Then you have some storied high school football programs, along with Ohio State. Recent history aside, the Browns of the 1950s and early 60s were as dominant as the Patriots/Spurs runs of present day.

This is to take nothing away from what the Cavs did, but if the Indians or Browns ever win a title, the parade will be 2 million. Both the Indians & Browns go back 3-4 generations, whereas the Cavs came into being in 1970. I'm not holding my breath on the Browns any time soon, but the Indians under Francona have a good shot this year and for the next 2-3 years.