Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Will there always be some who try to sell or buy drugs? Of course. But I believe swiftly executing drug traffickers on a wide scale would stop most of the trade.

This might surprise you but one can be hard on crime, justice-oriented, and speak out harshly against things that are evil while being Christian.

You're not the first person on these forums to take a rather simplistic approach when it comes to Christianity. For example, when I've advocated being tough on crime in the past, it's not been uncommon for someone to say, "Well wait, wasn't Jesus all about mercy and forgiveness?" Of course, going with that logic, we may as well do away with all police, courts, and prisons and every criminal gets automatic forgiveness. As if mercy can rob justice. Of course, these people miss the point of Christianity completely. They're often the ones who think that, because Jesus was "nice," that must mean He is OK with whatever you do.

Now, that said, I'll admit I let my temper get the better of me at times and don't always use the language I should. But it gets tiring seeing where this country is going and how many "call good evil and evil good."

If capital punishment is going to be used for crimes there a few that go before drug dealing...namely the violation of kids and women.

Death penalty will never be used strictly for drug dealing offenses here and even saying that is an option is unrealistic and a waste of time.

Americans tend to be practical people so we'll explore other options as we alter the current failing drug laws.

And completely not attempting to be sacrilegious, what alcohol gets banned? Does wine get banned?*

*you get the reference.

I respect your comments about use of language.

Not once did you read me write that being hard on crime, speaking out for justice, or speaking against things that are "evil" are not Christian-like.
My comments are about different things than what others may have pointed out in the past.

Different denominations, theological schools of thought, individual interpretations, and even different versions and translations of the Book that ties it all together, BUT I was taught that the way a person lives,thinks and carries himself is what defines him as a Christian.

I respect people of any faith who try to stay true to what their version of the truth is, so I can respect Christians who stand up for their beliefs.

The thing is, I live in a metro area with people of all different backgrounds, faiths or not, political views or not. People around here work and live among other decent human beings who have different sets of personal beliefs than they do. More important that they are decent human beings and good citizens than what they believe or don't. I think that's why you'll find a more liberal progressive slant in some of these diverse areas. Voting in ways that don't limit the life choices of other decent human beings don't prevent or preclude you from living by your own personal or religious code.

I'm not sure that believers in the "Bible belt" are more devout or devoted than believers in major metro areas, but I think the diverse populations and experiences influence the differences in voting patterns.

I've also written that, if a person is truly....truly against evil and religious inconsistency..you cannot overlook the history of these major religious denominations during the 20th century and the fight against legal discrimination. It's all documented..the stances or silence that these Christian organizations took when children of God were fighting against actual evil. You seem to think that this is irrelevant, but it absolutely is. In that era and before then, the governing bodies of these religious groups were completely inconsistent with the spirit of Christianity and it's on the public record. Hard to argue against that,Ivy. Lot of fake Christians in the history of this country and more importantly, people who were NOT decent human beings

. And like I wrote before, these things would definitely have an impact on people voting to not restrict the freedoms/rights of other decent human beings while living by their own set of beliefs.

I agree as far as there being too much silence on the part of many Christians from slavery to segregation.

Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Mormons welcomed slavery into their state. Also, pretty sure Joseph Smith instituted polygamy because he felt like fucking tons of women.

True Christains.

There were approximately two dozen slaves in all the Utah territory. It was never really an issue here, before or after 1862.

And you're pulling nonsense out of your ass about the polygamy issue. Jumping to conclusions and/or simply regurgitating what you've heard.

Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
At the end of the day, Ivy, your views all stem from a (ridiculous) book.

People that view gays as "degenerates" just aren't worth debating. There is no room for counter arguments because of how your views are formed.

I mean, look at your discussion of the penal system. You call it "justice." Justice is subjective -- you understand that, right? Your opinion on what Justice is, and isn't, is just that -- your opinion. You want harsher sentences not for results or practiciality or rehabilitation, but because YOU think it is deserved. Well, wup-de-fucking-doo. It isn't just up to you. People have differing beliefs. This is decided by laws based a democratic mandate. You and your six million Mormon weirdos can voice your opinion. The other 300 plus million will voice theirs. You won't win. Sorry!

It's funny how you assume 300 million people agree with you. And not all Mormons would agree with me. I'm not speaking for all them, much less the Church itself, when I talk about the criminal justice system and the drug trade.

And, since we both know how your views on the "ridiculous book" you speak of were formed - simply regurgitating what you've heard while never reading it yourself - there's no use even addressing your comment.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.