Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

1)You're coming from a purely deterrence standpoint. That's a secondary concern to me. My primary concern is about justice. Like when people argue that the death penalty isn't a deterrence for crime (and that's debatable). Whether it is or isn't, putting a murderer to death is justice.

And once again, prohibition hasn't worked because it hasn't been enforced right. Like I said, you start wiping out those involved in the drug trade both here and elsewhere, you'll see a difference. But people don't have the stomach for it and you'd have the usual suspects (liberals) gravitating towards criminals, as they've always done, and whining about their rights, us becoming a police state, or other BS. As if the scourge of drugs, or legalized drugs, is somehow more preferable.

2)I realize one can't do that and still be morally or intellectually consistent. It's why I take self-professed Christians to task when they're pro-abortion or pro-gay marriage. If you claim to believe and worship one way but then go vote another, you're a hypocrite who's religion doesn't mean that much no matter how much mental gymnastics you use to justify it.

1)No, prohibition of alcohol failed because people are going to drink alcohol no matter what the govt. does. Drug policy is failing because people are going to procure and use drugs no matter what the govt. does.

In countries where people can be executed for possession....people still try to procure and use drugs. It's impractical to think that you can eliminate the desire for drugs by squeezing out the dealers or the distribution channels. What about prescription drug abuse?

2)
Ivy,
I know a few people who are Mormons but do not know the intricacies of what the tenets of that faith are, but I know that you've explicitly says that it falls under the umbrella of Christianity.
I do understand Christianity in general, and your tone, your choice of words, the manner which you debate people here are NOT Christian-like. How do you speak about moral consistency with a straight face after having carried yourself the way you do here?

Also...there's a difference between living by a certain set of beliefs and thinking that EVERYBODY else has to live by those beliefs.