Originally Posted By: helenwheels
Originally Posted By: SoCalGangs

Haven't read it but I'll take a look. From the title, I'm sure I'll agree with most of it.

I have a lot of problems with Trump. Part of me likes him simply because he's pushed back against all the crazy political correctness. Has the entire establishment against him and still became the republican nominee. But as far as his positions policy wise, not much i can get excited about. It's campaign is too much about him and what a great leader he's going to be, his ability to make deals as a negotiator. There's no underlying philosophical principles that he's trying to uphold. I don't get impressed with personalities as much as ideas.

I'm not that impressed with Gary Johnson either. He seems like a nice guy that means well, but he doesn't seem to have enough passion and conviction in his defense of libertarian ideas. He doesn't come off well read on libertarian ideas, ethics, philosophy, economics. I guess not everybody can be like Ron Paul.

Well of course not. Libertarianism is an individualist thing. There are a wide variety of views. Paul is different than George Phillies, who is different than Hillel Steiner, who is different than Steve Kubby.

And of course there are Right Libertarians, Left Libertarians, Classical Liberals, Objectivists, Anarchists, Minarchists, etc.

It's kind of what happens when your underlying philosophy is autonomy and freedom of choice. You don't hold to systematic ideologies, and you get divergent political thoughts.

I understand that, what I meant though is that Ron Paul was extremely well read on history, economics, philosophy and political thought. You can ask him anything about foreign policy or economics and he had a well thought out and well researched answer. Even when you don't agree with him you can atleast appreciate that.
I heard Gary Johnson on the Joe Rogan podcast, and like I said, sounds like a very nice guy but there's a lot of missed opportunities where he could've really educated people about libertarianism, and he didn't.