Originally Posted By: Footreads
Everyone thinks Kennedy opened the country to blacks.

Eisenhower a republican wanted to do after WW2. But the south at that time was all democrats did not want it.

I guess oak and Helen, union county knew that fact right?

What fact is that? 'Opened' the country for blacks? I'm not sure what that sentence means. Were we 'closed' to blacks before Eisenhower? That the Kennedy family, despite the romanticizing of their positions on civil rights by most of the public didn't do much to advance the cause. LBJ's role in civil rights, which was much larger than the Kennedys mythologized one?

That the Democratic party used to be opposed to civil rights to blacks? I'm familiar with it, and fully understand the Southern Strategy and Harry Dent, how George Wallace's campaign almost threw a monkey wrench into the strategy, the role that the Great Migration played in all of this, the split in the GOP in the era of Goldwater and Rockefeller....

If you want to know if I'm aware of something just ask me, and I will answer. No need to assume what I think or know. Thanks!

Last edited by helenwheels; 07/20/16 03:29 PM.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?