Originally Posted By: fergie
The soviet union is backward in all forms of human rights....to use it as a good example of the results of an atheist belief is ridiculous. Your also comparing a country it a particular period of time...Im talking about indoctrinated beliefs that have been around for thousands of years

Religious groups across the world persecute, torture and murder gay people every day..more to the point, are you seriously denying it happens? All in the name of religion...any number of christian fundamentalist groups in africa...even the KKK in the states.

I don't want to bang the drum for gay rights, it doesn't particularly rate way up my agenda, but, back to my original point, when I hear other religious people wailing about how terrible this orlando massacre was, I cant help but imagine them going home and picking up their harry potter religious book and reading about how their particular god delights in also torturing gay people...how do you square that? Its not good for a guy to shoot gay people, but its acceptable for your hairy bearded imaginary friend to torture them for eternity and for you to whisper how disgusting their way of life is?

I thought you wouldn't provide any examples to back up your assertion and you didn't disappoint. Just another case of someone blowing smoke.

Your response about the Soviet Union...as I said a "no true Scotsman" fallacy. Can't compare "indoctrinated beliefs for thousands of years" with atheism since atheism hasn't been around for thousands of years. The atheist societies that have existed are within the past 150 years and were uniformly brutal.

In response you cite the KKK, which isn't a religious group but a political one (it was considered the terrorist wing of the Democratic Party), and even then, you didn't provide evidence that it massacred gays. "Christian fundamentalist groups in Africa.." do you mean the religious cults in Africa that are a mixture of different religions and are not Christian in fact? You really hit it out of the ballpark with "religious groups across the world persecute, torture and murder gay people every day" but is that true with Islam taken out of the equation? Do you not also realize that's an overgeneralization fallacy since "religious groups" can be extremely different from each other? This is why in my question to you I wrote something like "except for Islam." I asked for specifics and you provided none. If you can't back up your claim it's probably because it's not true and should probably stop making things up. Maybe that's what people without "bearded imaginary friends" do: they lie.