Originally Posted By: hoodlum
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Yeah, it wouldn't have mattered what Gotti did afterward. Him taking out Castellano was a threat to every sitting boss, including Gigante. That's why Chin couldn't let it go unanswered.
But, i dont think gotti had the balls to fuck w/the chin to much..as said elsewhere in this forum, gotti was actually petrified of the chin.

It didn't matter if Gotti was actually afraid or not, Chin didn't know that. Also, it was perception that mattered, bosses are bosses because they are supposed to be invulnerable. Once one ambitious capo takes out a boss then that sets a precedent to all of the other ambitious capos that they can take out a boss, assume control and get away with it without dying.

The idea that the boss can't be fucked with unless under very limited circumstances ("self defense") is the keystone of the whole thing laid down in 1931 that kept everything somewhat stable until the '80s.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi