Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
That's true, but keep in mind I never said they had influence in Montreal when Vito was at his prime. I don't know how that got interpreted as such in the first place. I said they were growing in a stature that was comparable to the Montreal Mafia, at that time. And you're right, Mafia presence is based in Montreal & The Toronto/Hamilton area. But while the Calabrians as in the Ndrangheta groups couldn't gain a foothold in Montreal before Vito was convicted and extradited, the Montreal family never gained a foothold in The Toronto, Ontario/Hamilton area, while Vito was at his prime. They tried to, but they never really succeeded with that. The Panepinto is an example of that. Vito was definitely friendly with the Musitanos , but I don't believe even they allowed Vito to establish a base in their town.

I respect Vito Rizzuto and all he did, and I've always been the first to admit and always one of the most vocal about Vito's prowess and how powerful he was in order to accomplish all he did, break away from the Bonannos and essentially create his own psuedo neo-Sicilian Mob Family, which also consisted of the remainder of the "Calabrian Faction". But his influence was mostly based in his town, Montreal. He definitely earned with everyone and managed to do enough to work with the Calabrian clans without stepping on toes. But again most of his influence was based in Montreal.

The Rizzuto family never gained foothold in Toronto/Hamilton because their base and roots were in Montreal. You can't simply take over cities where other organizations exist, you can probably have some minor operations or a number of associates and allies but as far as take over goes? Highly unlikely.

Think about it this way, Nicolo Rizzuto migrated to Canada and settled in Montreal during the 50's, I'm sure he was a connected man back in Sicily but did he build his own family or take over anything right away? Nope, he joined the Cotroni family and eventually took over within. Like Rizzuto, the 'Ndrangheta families of Toronto also started migrating there during the 50's, so they too have a deep history within their territory. An influence over the region is all these guys can do, there will be no take overs unless it's a wide open town.