Originally Posted By: dinocrocetti
We will agree to disagree. however, you can't deny that Bill Clinton was "willing" to even work with republicans. ive always said that a good politician's biggest asset is 'compromise' and that means going against your own party to accomplish a better result. Obama is not willing to compromise but Clinton was. and Clinton continued his relationship with republicans while out of office. the fact is that while somebody may be part of the democratic party, it doesnt mean they are 100% behind every belief that the extreme liberals have. im a democrat but have voted republican on several occasions. whether Clinton was forced to work with republicans or not, he at least compromised for a better result. we can critique every US president and find something wrong, however, some of these presidents are beholden to groups and policies that backed their elections. W pardoned the CEO of Enron who should have been doing 100 years in the can but Enron was also one of the largest donors to his presidential campaign and a Texas based company. to quote Junior Soprano, "what's the point of attaining power if you can't help your friends." its been going on for 100 years and it will continue to go on for another 100 years.

One of the points I made is that when Clinton cooperated and reached across the aisle the whole country benefited. So we absolutely agree on that. He could have been hardcore partisan ideologue like Obama and only work with his own party (and sometimes even excluding them), but he decided it was in the best interest of the country to compromise. So I give him points for that.

I also agree with you that no president intends to destroy the country, including Obama. That sort of evil motivation theory comes from tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy types. But Obama does have a particular far-left ideology that he believes is good for the country and his opponents don't. I can't address the claim that there are members of Congress who are against him for just racial reasons. I know that many times it is asserted that disagreement with Obama is only because of his race, and I think more often than not it is far-left tin-foil hat types that believe this. Criticism comes with the territory, and sometimes it's below-the-belt criticism.

Not sure who you mean about Bush pardoning the Enron CEO, because he didn't pardon Jeff Skelling. He's in prison right now and isn't scheduled for release until 2019. On the other hand, Clinton pardoned Marc Rich. Even Jimmy Carter said that Clinton only pardoned him because he gave him large gifts, and Carter called it "disgraceful."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Skilling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Rich

Clinton also commuted the sentences of Puerto Rican FALN terrorists, ostensibly to help Hillary's chances of getting elected senator in New York. Clinton pardoned Edgar and Vonna Jo Gregory, allegedly as part of a quid pro quo scheme.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton_pardon_controversy