I went to a union meeting awhile ago for SEIU, and they were talking about how the city was allowing these security firms to set up shop in the Loop, and other places without being Union. It seems the mob adjusted strategies a little. Instead of using the unions for leverage to coerce the businesses, they seem to be in league with politicians and corporations to FUCK the union to advantage of the businesses. Businesses that they of course have a stake in, where as before they had their stake in the unions. So they are still positioned in between the State and the businesses that want to do business with the state. Ironically even though they aren't a traditional family, these methods are VERY COSA NOSTRA , very Sicily.

I believe the key difference in Chicago and NewYork is that it's the political climate of corruption that allows the mob to keep going here. Where as in NY it's the sheer density of population and concentration of wealth. Like corruption or not, you can make money in NY, but in Chicago I think you have to be plugged into the " system" so to speak. Kinda like if you want to sell drugs in NY, you need no real affiliation, like you COULD be an independent. In Chicago , YOU HAVE TO JOIN A GANG to do anything in the streets.

i don't have a whole lotta time, but I've been looking into this, trying to make more connections...