Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
The definition of power tends to differ by definition. Southside have become majority black with modest amount of Latinos then everybody else in different sections, while Westside become fairly balance of Blacks & Latinos then the rest is mixed ( not entirely accurate about this part).

Many times you'll hear that the Outfit had a monopoly after defeating the North side Mob but even that wasn't true. Not to take away or downsize their rackets & political connections; They was the major syndicate in the city in regards to diverse activities and especially their milk & honey. Now for certain activities they had minor involvement is where the other Syndicates and groups come into play.

Chicago had a hundred times the gangs back in the 1920s but smaller membership ( 1,200+ Gangs, 10,000+ Population). Those range from racketeering groups ( Bootlegging) to social clubs ( Street Gangs/ Greasers). Over time the number of gangs shrunk but the population expanded ( Today : 59 Gangs , 70,000+ Population). The combination of economy, housing discrimination , drug trade, corruption, and war on gangs shaped the gangland to the point presently. Regardless of the time period, Gangs & Syndicates contributed to the violence that plagues Chicago.

I agree on the competition but only in regards to certain activities. The Outfit still have a semi monopoly on specific gambling & juice loans rackets in the city. Everything else come second per say.

You are very knowledgable and I enjoy reading your posts.

Do you know of any times throughout Chicago history where local gangs or small-time criminal groups directly tried to oppose the Outfit or muscle in on some of the Outfit's rackets? Other than the Capone wars against Bugs Moran and Hymie Weiss (and also Giancana battling it out with Teddy Roe), I have never head too much about any big issues with that type of thing. BUt the way I see it is, especially today, where street gangs are in the thousands in Chicago, what it stopping some of the Chicago street gangs today from simply deciding to start competing with the Outfit in various rackets? What happens if a local gang makes a move against an Outfit member or an Outfit-controlled business? I know the Outfit has a lot of strength from its political connections and also through its relationships with various corrupt law enforcement and judges, along with unions, etc., so they do have a lot of power that most of the local gangs probably do not have.