Originally Posted By: MrWilliams
Not to barge in on the discussion here but I had a question for those who have done time in prison.

Whats daily life like in in a minimum or medium security institution vs. a maximum one?

I ask because all the stories you read about anywhere seem to be focused on what it's like to do 10 years in a maximum security prision for a crime like armed robbery.

Therefore, I wonder what the experience is like for say a white collar professional who has been convicted of cheating on his taxes and is now doing 5 years in a Federal minimum security prison camp somewhere?

Thank you for your replies btw!

As far as day to day the biggest difference is the atmosphere. You're always going to have people smoking weed, drinking, on pills, gambling, tattooing, etc... In either setting. In a minimum security everyone has sweet privileges they've earned via not getting popped. There is a little more jawing and a lot more sit down type situations with guys who are in organizations because end of the day, no one wants to fight and lose what they got going. You still say fuck it sometimes. At the max places I was at there was no jawing at all. One smart ass comment could turn into a fight and into a war on the compound in a second. Inter organization discipline was much more strict as a means to keep the piece. And by that I mean if you hit out of line, your own group would physically check you ASAP. My first day at max there was a fight that was a bloodbath but since it was 2 organization guys vs a guy who wasn't with anyone, it was over as soon as it was over. I actually preferred the day to day at the max. There was a lot more respect because everyone knew what could happen in a second. That said, sometimes the living on high alert, sleeping in boots laced up, etc... gets taxing mentally.