Joe Massino is full of shit about those killings. The others in the family all said the order came from Rustelli and it was to gain face cause of the Brasco fiasco. Jelly was never killed cause he was a Colombo and really did not bring Pistone around that much. Donnie was a hang around during his time with the Colombos, and was never on record with any of the Colombo. Mirra seen this and started to recruit Pistone, but the FBI needed the op to gain information on other families if it could, so that is why Pistone switched families.

Sonny Black had a lot more power than Massino, he did in fact controlled most of the drugs in the family which caused Sonny Red to round up Capos against Rustelli rule, I believe there were at least 8 crews originally in the revolt. Sonny Black making a move against Phil doesn't make much sense, as he was the most loyal member to Rustelli. The bottom line is that Massino was jealous of Sonny Blacks power, plus Brasco would be made before Vitale(this comes from Richard Cantarella, Frank Coppa who was told this at a wedding or party, and Salvatore Vitale) which Joe did not like.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green