Originally Posted By: hoodlum
Originally Posted By: BillyBrizzi
Originally Posted By: Jhype11

I always wondered though...did he ever feel guilty that he caused Sonny Black's death?

If he doesn't, he's devoid of a heart..

He hung around with Sonny for years, on a daily basis. Even slept lots of times on the couch in Sonny's apartment. Sonny liked him a lot and thought they were very close..

With what I've read about Sonny, he was one of the few wiseguys who actually was likable. I have respect for how he accepted his fate in the end and didn't take the easy way out.
A man's man in my book..
This is so true.. I've met Joe Pistone @ a book signing @ the Phila. free library, and during his talks, he has stated that Yes ,he does feel responsible & sorry for Sonny Black's demise,but that they knew what they were getting into from day 1..he was only doing his job & Sonny took it like a man's man..he (joe pistone) also stated that he wished he could have given sonny a heads up 2 run,but that would have defeated the the whole shebang,even though sonny would not have run anyways..poor Sonny,met the wrong guy @ the wrong time in the wrong situation.

I don't doubt what you recount here, but Sonny was given the heads up, not to run, but to turn. That was part of the point of the feds showing up at Sonny's house with pictures of Pistone with his FBI colleagues. If I am not mistaken, Sonny was given a business card at the conclusion of that meeting. The implication was that this was his opportunity to come in with the FBI and join up Pistone. Pistone says he respects Sonny's choice not to turn.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."