As I have said before, cities and rural areas are different with each threat. You take away one right, and it weakens the others chances of survival.
Fergie, you are from the city and there is a strong chance you never visited a countryside or been up in the mountains, which is ok, which limits your reasoning as so many others who only have lived in the city.
People still hunt, true most hunt for sport, but there are those out there who do it as a way of life. They don't hunt for a trophy, but as food and materials that come from the animal.
As society advances, so does technology and beliefs. Technology is advancing and their is a view that that the old ways are obsolete. That is not true. When it was revealed that the kept animals for batching were not treated right at the factories and certain ingredients were added to the meats that were not healthy, there was a 17 percent increase for hunting safety course. That speaks volumes.
Yes I own two assault rifles, and they are in a gun safe. I also carry a firearm on me sometimes as I may need it depending where I am going or which shitty neighborhood I will be in that does not have a southern hospitality.
You also seem to think all hunters are Christians. There are also Juws, some Muslim, and a lot of atheists who are hunters. Comedians and satire late night hosts make fun of hunters a lot, you know who I make fun of a lot. Fishers, who catch and release, that is boring, and I would rather be doing something with my time then waste it.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green