The way you got the made and associate thing thought out is how I understand it as well but you have to remember going back to the beginning of the outfit is it wasn't what you would describe as a "traditional new york type" mafia family. It was a gang made up of many different nationalities. Now it may have evolved into a more Italian thing but non Italians have always had major juice in Chicago.

During Al's day I believe it was a much more disorganized thing than everyone has been led to believe.

As far as today goes I don't know to many cartels involved in gambling, juice loan and other traditional mob type activities. Chicago's mob made it this far without any major drug guys so I don't see why it would hurt them now. Crime is crime, folks need to realize its not all controled by the mafia nor has it ever been. Mafia is just a nice bow that has tied everything together to sells movies newspapers books etc. Go to the store Sargento costs more than Kraft with the same cheese inside the package.