Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Ivy, you really want more prisons? Are you fucking kidding? We have the largest incarcerated population in the world. Just insane to want more prisons and more of your tax dollars to go into that bullshit system. You realize it is a corrupt machine, right?

Also, give me a break with the hard labor. Just a great idea. Let's create more prisons, lock more people up, and convert them to slaves.

You need to go back to the 19th century. This country has a problem. Deterrence doesn't work. Crime is endless. Regardless, prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation. Not making people slaves and punishing them, especially for non violent crimes.

Look at any mafia picture taken behind prison walls. Does it look like they are being rehabilitated?

There's a huge disparity when it comes to the racial make up of prisons.

Live in most countries and see what sentences people get. You'll be relieved to be American. Even so, mobsters - and a lot of caucasians in general - get off lucky when it comes to being served justice.

And I don't get why these guys are being made out to be more innocent than they are.

We are talking crimes like drug smuggling, drug dealing, jury tampering, money laundering; the last crime carries a maximum prison sentence of over 12 years!

I don't get it. The mafia were pretty much left unfettered for over 60 years until the 80's, stole monies in the hundreds of millions from the state, from hard working people, implemented the mafia tax that added cost to every product YOU bought; they extort funeral homes and profited off the twin towers collapse!

Yet you still get this persecution complex.

I think there are far greater injustices in society, frankly. Let them serve their 4-5 years in prison.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.