Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I don't know why people say this. These guys are not just harmless neighborhood guys taking some bets. They're sworn members of a greater ongoing organized criminal enterprise and they should serve every day of their sentence.

Being a member of the Mafia is not illegal.

If they've done other crimes, convict them. But four years for what you can do down the road in Atlantic perfectly legally is a joke.

Prison systems not taking enough of your tax dollars Ivy?

Being part of a racketeering enterprise, which the Mafia is, is illegal. That's the difference which some people on these forums have never been able to wrap their head around. As I said, the Pernas weren't just some local neighborhood guys taking some bets. They were sworn members of a criminal organization (the Lucchese family) that, in addition to huge illegal gambling operations, also engages is various other crimes up to and including murder. That's what RICO is all about.

And I'd gladly pay even more in taxes for more prisons if our laws and sentences were more severe and a prison stay was much more uncomfortable than it currently is.

Just as an example, what I would do with the Pernas is make them serve the full sentence and do hard labor the entire time they're there. Then, when they get out, put them on parole for the same amount of time they just did behind bars. And if they violate, they go back and serve another 50% of their original sentence. That kind of punishment would make them really think twice about continuing involvement with the mob, which otherwise is a virtual certainty. And it would also make other mob guys think twice about their involvement.

I know this is where many will start wringing their hands and whining that it's too harsh. But it's that kind of weak thinking, including by people that otherwise consider themselves conservative, that has allowed so much crime in this country. Led by the liberals, of course, there is too much permissiveness and tolerance for crime and those who commit it.

Of course, on these boards there's always been a tendency by some to go easy on the wiseguys. Usually that's fanboyism more than anything else.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 01/08/16 04:32 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.