With the fbi and police focused on terrorism, the Mafia has been given a breather and I believe new life. While the Mafia has faded away in places like Los Angeles, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Tampa and New Orleans, it seems like it's in resurgence in places like NY, NJ, Chicago, and Philly. Some of those families have stabilized after the beating they took from law enforcement in 80's through 2001. 9/11 has provided them a shot in the arm so to speak. In the places that it's faded away it's never coming back, however the families that still have a structure are on the same level of power as they were in the early 90's. From my count there are 10 crime families left with a real structure. They are as follows- 5 families of ny, Chicago outfit, Detroit partnership, Philadelphia, Boston, and nj decalvacantes. The families have gone back to basics, loansharking, extortion and gambling. My guess is if the fbi didn't reallocate resources towards terrorism within 10-15 years the only families left would maybe be the 5 families of ny.