Like it has been said do your research before hitting Miami for sure. I have been on Long Island in New York but never up into Midtown to where pizza knows all the good places to visit. Hit him up for sure and he can tell you where to go.

As for Miami stay out of the North side of Miami (Hialeah, Carol City, Miami Gardens, etc.) and stay near the beach. Better views and less chance of getting hurt. Miami is one big ghetto in areas West of I-95. If you stay anywhere East of I-95 then you will see all the great looking women in bikini's and be in better spots without worrying for your life. Be sure to try a Bushwacker while in Florida, not sure if they have them as much in South Florida as they do in Northwest Florida and the panhandle. It's a drink that was started in Florida and is delicious and yes it is a mixed drink (meaning alcohol). If you can get the chance to make it to Key West do it. If you can even visit Key Largo which is the first Florida Key do it. Definitely not much crime down there with some beautiful water. Actually ocean water you can see through. Wouldn't even hurt to go West out of Miami and go see the Everglades and the alligator farms too.

But honestly if it was me, after I leave NYC I would be flying. You can fly from NY to Miami probably direct for $400 on average (just guessing right now without looking) and you make it in a few hours instead of days on a bus. I've never been on a train long distance so I'm not sure how long or how much that is.