Well me neither, which is why I question why they made the offer in the first place. It's just not plausible for Vito to move anywhere and I find highly unlikely that the Bonnanos thought anything different. Surely they knew what the situation was in Montreal and what killing Sciascia meant for their relationship with them.

Maybe they wouldn't have expected him to move, I don't know with any certainty, I'm just assuming that to be the case since Sciascia was a NYC resident. We agree it is likely Vito knew regardless of the precautions Massino took to hide the truth. it was probably just creating a layer of plausible deniability, even if it wasn't a very good one - Could be nobody ever expected Vito to take them up on the offer. If they act like nothing had changed than perhaps Vito would doubt his sources that Massino was behind the hit. It works. It wraps up the loose ends, but it leaves a lot to be desired as a plan. It leaves way too much to chance, and obviously Vito was having none of Joe's bullshit anyway.

Ultimately I question why Joe would even fear Vito finding out the truth. Fear of reprisal? Unlikely. Loss of business interest? Far more plausible. But if we operate under the knowledge that Montreal was establishing itself as an autonomous family with less connection the Bonnanos then there is strong motivation to want to off both Sciascia and Rizzuto, perhaps backing the old Cotroni faction in some way.

I guess my point is this:

if Joe knew the Rizzutos were for all intents and purposes their own family, why invite their boss to be the capo in a foreign borgata, even if he remains in Montreal? It seems unlikely to me that Massino thought that Montreal was still totally onboard up until the Sciascia hit. They must have been parting ways long before that.

But maybe that doesn't really matter so long as the drug connect is still operating through the Bonnanos. But if that's the case, then it still leaves the question: Why make the offer to Vito personally?

That's what bugs me. The offer doesn't seem to make much sense unless it's just a really bad plan. It would make far more sense had they asked Vito to send someone else, to take George's place. It almost seems like a backhanded insult, saying sort of like saying "being a capo in NY is better than being a boss in Montreal".