Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
[quote=cdn_wiseguy]
And the funeral I mentioned earlier where the Cun-trera's were present was for Cosimo Stalteri, and long time and well known enemy of Vito Rizzuto and his Sicilian camp. In the 60's Stalteri was the Camera Di Controllo for the Toronto 'Ndrangheta, and he was appointed by Giacomo Luppino, Paolo Violi's father-in-law. After this funeral both groups bordered a chartered bus and went to the wedding anniversary reception of a member of the Cun-trera's. Among the guests of that reception were numerous members of the Commisso Crime Family, known enemies of Rizzuto. Among those members of the Commisso's were Sam Calautti, a notorious hitman for the 'Ndrangheta. He was the suspected killer of Vito's man in Ontario (or maybe Toronto, I forget), Guy Panepinto. At the time, he was also among the top five suspects in the murder of Nicolo Rizzuto. This reception took place less than seven months after the murder of Agostino Cun-trera and his bodyguard, Gerlando Sciascia's son, Liborio. The surveillance captured showed the Cun-trera's & the Commisso clan in a state of relative peace and ecstasy, they were breaking bread with each other, which if Vito was around, was basically a mortal sin. But after observing that the Canadian law enforcement saw this as a shift in times where Blood Ties no longer mattered, and it was all about money.

Either there's something off about the information you're giving or I had it wrong all along. Here are my issues with this post:

- Why would Giacomo Luppino appoint Stalteri to be the Camera Di Controllo for Toronto? As far as I'm concerned the Luppino family is not 'Ndrangheta, so Giacomo had no say in such matters.

- It's still unclear which family Calautti belonged to exactly. We do know that he was a 'Ndrangheta hitman and there's suspicion that he killed Vito's father (Though not confirmed), but it's unclear whether the Rizzuto's killed him or not. There's a chance that he was killed by one of the 'Ndrangheta families over internal 'Ndrangheta disputes in the area (The same goes for the Verduci hit).

- Not all 'Ndrangheta families were Vito's enemies, some were in fact allies. As a matter of fact the Commisso family were known to be a Rizzuto allies in the Toronto area, the DeMaria family on the other hand were known to be Vito's enemies. So this whole Commisso's and Cun-trera/Caruana's getting together is not all that surprising given the fact that besides alliance, there's business to be made.

I doubt we'll know the full truth, but I grew up in Hamilton and have lived in the Greater Toronto Area all my life, so let's just say that I hear things locally.