Originally Posted By: cdn_wiseguy
Sinatra,

I think you're right about the two groups being against the Rizzuto's until the falling out of Montagna and Desjardins.

I'm curious as to why you think Moreno Gallo was with the Montagna group?

I say Gallo was with Montagna, because there's evidence that it was Gallo who transferred Vito's sports book in the Toronto area, Platinum SB, which he was assigned with overseeing in Vito's absence, to the Calabrian's. And the other smaller sports book of Vito's which was under Gallo's watch, had been transferred to Montagna. Other powers who sided with Montagna were Domenico Arcuri Sr. he's the one who made the introductions for Montagna to others in the Montreal milieu. Along with Acuri were Tony Suzuki, Larry Lo Presti, Joe Renda & Giuseppe Colapelle. Though Colapelle was a plant for Desjardin's and him feeding Desjardin's information about what Montagna had planned is what led to the two sides being against each other and Montagna's ultimate death. The attempt on Desjardin's life was the first shot and it's suspected to have come from Montagna, the incident where Desjardin's & a bodyguard, Jonathan Mignacca were basically ambushed by guys in baclava's carrying AK-47's. Another evidence of this being Montagna was the fact that the shooters may have been from a Haitian street gang, which is why they were firing wildly and didn't kill Desjardin's or his bodyguard, not even hitting them. Montagna often used and employed the Haitian gangsters to enforce his extortion schemes of the cafes that were once under Rizzuto control, because he didn't have enough men backing him of his own kind. Montagna was the only one known for using them pretty much so that pointed to him right there, and Desjardin's knew it. Montagna tried to deflect blame back to the Rizzutos and went as far as saying the hit was ordered by Libertina Rizzuto, Vito's mother & Nicolo's widow. All of this scheming led to Montagna being killed by Desjardin's supporters.

And the funeral I mentioned earlier where the Cun-trera's were present was for Cosimo Stalteri, and long time and well known enemy of Vito Rizzuto and his Sicilian camp. In the 60's Stalteri was the Camera Di Controllo for the Toronto 'Ndrangheta, and he was appointed by Giacomo Luppino, Paolo Violi's father-in-law. After this funeral both groups bordered a chartered bus and went to the wedding anniversary reception of a member of the Cun-trera's. Among the guests of that reception were numerous members of the Commisso Crime Family, known enemies of Rizzuto. Among those members of the Commisso's were Sam Calautti, a notorious hitman for the 'Ndrangheta. He was the suspected killer of Vito's man in Ontario (or maybe Toronto, I forget), Guy Panepinto. At the time, he was also among the top five suspects in the murder of Nicolo Rizzuto. This reception took place less than seven months after the murder of Agostino Cun-trera and his bodyguard, Gerlando Sciascia's son, Liborio. The surveillance captured showed the Cun-trera's & the Commisso clan in a state of relative peace and ecstasy, they were breaking bread with each other, which if Vito was around, was basically a mortal sin. But after observing that the Canadian law enforcement saw this as a shift in times where Blood Ties no longer mattered, and it was all about money.

And there is more than one reason why Massino offered Rizzuto a caporegime spot. The whole thing with Sciascia and throwing Vito off tracks were one. But another reason was to reign Vito in, honestly. After Sciascia died, Vito stopped kicking up to NY. Over the years as the Rizzuto's grew in power in Montreal, they started to send less and less of their earnings back to NY. But at the time of Massino's boss reign, they were DEFINITELY still kicking up. After Sciascia died, Vito completely cut off the NY Bonanno Family. This was during a time where the Bonanno's strength was waning greatly, and Montreal had surpassed them in power, they earned more money, they had more connections in Montreal, and because they were earning more than the Bonanno's in NY all together, as it is assumed, they WERE the stronger of the two. Vito knew it, Massino didn't have the guys or strength at the time to really combat Rizzuto & his clan. This was the beginning of every Bonanno of stature turning witnesses. And NY just couldn't do anything for Montreal, they couldn't stop the drugs from coming in or going out, they couldn't interfere with their grip on the construction industries in Montreal, and they couldn't shut Vito out politically. Vito had ALL the power in Montreal, and the fact of the Bonanno's being based in NY, the Montreal guys simply didn't NEED NY. Massino, naively believing that Vito had this pride in the Bonannos and felt that rising from a soldier, in NY terms, to a Capo of his own crew, would be some sort of honor to Vito, and would make him just forget about Gerlando Sciascia, who was basically Vito's best friend, named Vito the Capo of the "Montreal Crew". When actually Vito viewed it as a slap in the face, as technically there was no "Montreal Crew" for the Bonanno's any longer, in Vito's mind. They had outgrew the Bonannos in Montreal and had become their own family of sorts and Vito was BOSS, and had been for a long time, after taking over from his father. Massino actually sent Vitale down to Montreal to inform Vito of his "promotion" and the news that they were looking for whomever killed Sciascia, not the other way around. Vito knowing Massino was behind it already, in an eery display of his all knowing, had a emptied seat next to his, around a table while Vitale and a couple of NY Bonanno guys met with Rizzuto and a couple of his men, Vitale knew that the empty chair was an intended sign to Vitale and whomever sent him. He was basically telling them without saying anything, "where's my friend, where's my right hand? You guys did it, and I know it". And at this meeting Vitale testifies that Vito turned the promotion down and sent him back to NY with the message for Massino. Massino knew he'd lost Montreal and just chalked it up as a loss. Which I think is a testament to Massino and his prowess as a boss, while he clearly loss face in Montreal, he knew there was little he could do about it, and basically that was the last time Massino had contact with Vito. I don't think the later Bonannos, and Massino and the following bosses, really had a good idea of what was going on in Montreal, Massino and majority of the Bonanno's considered Sciascia as simply his soldier, and later his Capo, who'd come there from Montreal, when in all actuality, he was Vito's eyes and ears in NY, basically in Cosa Nostra terms, he was the closest thing to Vito's "underboss". And killing him severely soured Rizzuto on the Bonannos. And theres more evidence that they simply just didn't get it by sending Montagna down there. He had to find out the hard way that while he may have been a mob boss in NY, in Montreal, he was nothing.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 11/12/15 09:47 PM.