Originally Posted By: helenwheels
Originally Posted By: thedudeabides87
Originally Posted By: helenwheels
Originally Posted By: thedudeabides87

"Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away. They're privileges. That's all we've ever had in this country, is a bill of temporary privileges. And if you read the news even badly, you know that every year the list gets shorter and shorter. You see all, sooner or later. Sooner or later, the people in this country are gonna realize the government does not give a fuck about them! The government doesn't care about you, or your children, or your rights, or your welfare or your safety. It simply does not give a fuck about you! It's interested in its own power. That's the only thing. Keeping it and expanding it wherever possible."- George Carlin

Carlin also referred to gun enthusiasts as 'dickless' and said that they were 'missing chromosomes and should be thrown screaming from helicopters'

http://youtu.be/TPDuYXGAuBw

I wasn't implying that he was pro gun, or at least I wasn't trying to imply that. I was using the quote (I like what he says, though I don't 100% agree with everything he believes or anyone for that matter) in reference to the point I was trying to get across, obviously failing to do so. Apologies for the confusion

No need for you to apologize Dude. I probably wasn't clear myself so no harm meant.

I believe that there's a world of difference between regular gun owners and what I like to call gun fetishists, or ammosexuals. There's a specific culture here in the US with the second type. They seem to have fantasies that life is a movie and they're John McClane.

This type often will state they need the guns as a defense against the government. Which kind of makes me piss myself laughing. Are hand guns and rifles are supposed to take out MBTs, fighter jets and on and on. This isn’t Iraq or Afghanistan. There aren’t thousands of spare RPGs and artillery rounds for IEDs lying around. Do they think that since there’s X millions of gun owners in this country we can count on most or some hefty percentage of them to rise up spontaneously against the Evil Dictator’s government.

And what would be the signal or the trigger to do so? Who’s going to be in charge? It’s a big country, and folks are scattered everywhere. The few that are organized probably have nearly as many informers as members.

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud here. Like Fergie said upthread there are people here that think differently and dont speak up because they have no interest in being told to fuck off, or be screamed at. I'm open for any real discussion on any topic, but have no interest in people just spewing insults, that's not dialogue, it's a circle jerk.

there's definitely a culture of gun enthusiasts out there. But those aren't the people causing most of the crime and commiting all the murders.