Let me see if I've got this right. I'm going to use round numbers which may or may not be very inaccurate but it's just to make the figures easier to get my head around.

Say each solider in a crew of 10 brought in $1,000 a week. Is it correct to say that in a standard kicking up situation, each soldier would go home with $900, after having kicked up 10% each to the captain?

In turn the captain would then kick up 10% of his $1,000 to the administration - ie $100 and go home with his own $900. That means the admin earn just $100 off every $10,000 made by that crew.

Even with 10 crews each bringing in $10k a week, the admin only earns $1k off every $100k the family brings in. Seems so low to me, which is why I ask if it's correct. I know some bosses - Castellano / Scarfo etc - had other arrangements but I'm just talking typical kickup situations here.

If so what's the incentive to rise from captain to admin given the extra heat and almost certain jail time it brings? I can understand wanting to be a captain to keep your hands somewhat cleaner but really, why'd anyone want to be boss other than for the power kick / ego trip?