Yea, I remember that part in Leonetti's book. I'm on my third read through so far, lol. The meeting you're referring to with Leonetti & Benny Eggs playing cards is actually the Scarfo/Casella/Genovese meeting they had after Phil Testa was killed.

The Stanfa comment was mentioned during Leonetti's retelling of the Caponigro/Genovese meeting, in which Bobby Manna told both Leonetti & Scarfo, who weren't present at that meeting, what went down and how Caponigro & Salerno was killed. According to Leonetti, Manna had told him that Gigante ordered Caponigro killed right in the social club. After they did what they did to Caponigro, they summoned Alfred Salerno, who was waiting a few blocks away in a cafe. They summoned the guys one by one, and Salerno was dealt with next. Leonetti says that when the Genovese men arrived, they discovered Salerno was conversing with a man at the bar that one of them had mistakenly believed was Nicky Scarfo, along with another man this Genovese soldier didn't know. Believing the guy to be Nicky Scarfo, when they came to summon Salerno for his murder, they told "Scarfo" and his companion to wait at the bar until Caponigro & Salerno returned. After they had killed Salerno, one of the soldiers reported to Gigante, Manna & the other Genovese admin who were present at the Triangle, that Nicky Scarfo was sitting at the bar down the block with another gentleman. Manna, knowing his good friend and knowing he wasn't supposed to be present at this prearranged death trap, and knowing his men were mistaken, immediately ordered the hit squad to go back to the bar and bring the two men to the clubhouse. When they got back to the cafe, the two men were gone. The guy they believed to be Nicky Scarfo, was actually John Stanfa, alongside Frank Sindone. Both had accompanied Caponigro & Salerno to NY for this meeting, clearly believing that he would be officially named boss. So yeah, Stanfa escaped death not just one, but twice, while under the reign of Nicky Scarfo. Pretty interesting stuff.