Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
Yeah, I remember reading that exchange too:
I think a lot of it was timing, Dellacroce was in jail for the tax thing when the BOss question opened up.
I think he didn't move because they showed him a lot of respect just waiting for him to come home before naming a boss. From what I understand if they tried it the other way, he woulda had to respond just to save face, by waiting for him to come home, and not doing a Costello and demoting him, his respect was kept intact, as well as his financial stake.
Also, I think DEllacroce was just saaavy enough to know he was the power in the family anyway.
It reminds me a little of what LEonetti said about Scarfo in his book, that even though Testa was boss, the most powerful guy was SCarfo, that when it came time to exercise power (murder) Scarfo called the shots, same with the Gambinos and Dellacroce, 3 capo hits, Galante....
His guys loved him, a lot of people don't understand it's very hard to win a war vs a guy with a loyal crew, it's why MAranzano beat MAsseria, shit it's why gotti got away with killing Paul, no one loved Paul enough to die for him, plus losing Paul didn't hurt enough guys financially to provoke a response.

"Gotti inherited a criminal superstate, custom-designed over three previous decades by two innovative Mob entrepreneurs, Carlo Gambino & Paul Castellano....He began his reign overseeing the largest and probably the most powerful criminal organization in the nations history. When he left, the Gambino's were a disintergrating, besieged clan. And he was chiefly responsible for the whirlwind that tore apart both the borgata and his own personal family" - Selwyn Raab

I kind of agree with that assessment, Gotti started the downfall of the Gambinos, the transition hit guys in their pockets, but it wasn't until Gotti was well in place that guys began realizing it. Gotti was really no better, he demanded just as much of a cut as Castellano did out of his soldiers earnings. He was a respected gangster, and a tough guy, and had his loyalists, but he was an incompetent leader. He had nothing to rely on other than his street smarts. There must've been a reason, other than out of respect for the rules, that guys like Failia collaborated with the Westside & The Lucchese's in an attempt on Gotti's life. They must've felt that things would be better if they or someone else was in charge. Same goes for the Corrozzo's. Had Gotti beat that last trial and remained on the street, do you think he would've effectively established his plan, of an undying Cosa Nostra, a supreme family that would never be weakened? I don't think so, personally. When the Corrozzo's began to turn on the Gotti's that was a sign of the troubles that may have come had he still been around, it's also possible he could've reeled everybody in, and put everyone in line. But that family was in a state of serious decline once he was walked out of the Ravenite in handcuffs.