Originally Posted By: mightyhealthy
Wow, 150-200 for Chicago? Did not expect that. What years, Ivy?

Those figures come from two sources.

The 150 members comes from what was probably the most well researched and knowledgeable poster on the Outfit I've seen on the forums. Some may remember "Little Al" from the RD forum years ago. Again, he said the membership peaked in the 1970s.

The 200 members comes from a statement made by former federal prosecutor Gary Shapiro last year when he said the Outfit’s membership never exceeded 200 members since the 1950s.

Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
Ivey, don't bite my head off,
But why don't you believe Detroit coulda had 75- 100 members?
I really don't understand, this is 1940s and 50s Detroit, not today's bankrupt Detroit.
This was dope Capitol, auto industry Capitol, union power, Motown, still connected to Sicily, married into profaci family Detroit, right?
You don't think they were at least the equal of philly? Or Cleveland?
Really? I honestly don't get it...

Yes, I do think they were at one time the equal of some of the other families you mentioned. And none of them got to 100 members. 75 I could maybe believe.

Originally Posted By: mulberry
I don't think D'Arco would know much about family sizes prior to his being made acting boss in 1988 or so.

Chicago 150 seems too high as do most of them. Cleveland seems right.

D'Arco said those were the maximum membership Luciano determined. Which, if that was the case, would be well known in terms of policy down through the years.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.