Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Off topic, but I've always felt it was in that scene where Michael chose his path, not when he volunteered to hit Sol and Mick. Michael became a Mafioso the minute he moved his father into the other room.

I think you're right, PB. In the book: "For the first time since it had all started [Michael] felt furious anger rising in him, a cold hatred for his father's enemies.” This mirrors Vito's feelings after his first confrontation with Fanucci: "But at that time all he felt was an icy rage that this man planned to rob him of the money he had risked his life and freedom to earn." I think that feeling of cold anger or rage is the call to destiny for both men.

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

We've discussed this often, but my favorite part of the novel was Neri's backstory, and how surprised and moved he was when he thought Michael was finished with him, then Michael insisted that he have lunch with he and Vito. Definitely one of Michael's most sincere moves. I don't think it was tactical, I think it was genuine and human of him. Of course, this was before Michael turned into a coldblooded monster.

My take, PB, is that this passage is best read in conjunction with Luca's back story, to show the type of thing that Vito did to win Luca's loyalty. If that take is correct, then obviously it was all tactical and discussed beforehand by Vito and Michael.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."