Originally Posted By: olivant
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
PB, as you know, a lot of people here agree with you. Hard to argue that when he said, "I'm with you now, Pop," he didn't just mean that he was physically by his side.

I have a different take PB. As the novel and a deleted hospital scene inform us, Michael was the prodigal son. In II's flashback scene, that is reinforced.

Michael's words at the hospital and in Sicily are only familial; the prodigal son returns home.

I don't know, Oli. I think a pretty good case could be made for both the literal and the figurative. Definitely one of the most debatable points here over the years. Although I've always been in agreement with you that the flashback scene at the end of Part II made it clear that Michael was a genuine rebel who wanted to choose his own way.

But whether it was the Mafia or Corporate America, Michael Corleone would be a control freak. I think that's one of the reasons why FFC has often stated that "The Godfather" mirrored Corporate America.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.