Originally Posted By: ht2
Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen

It's why Adonis is an interesting figure, look at his interest and tell me he was anyone's underling, he was every bit as capable as genovese it seems, COntrolling Brooklyn politics, providing labor peace for Ford, taking over the Jewish end of heroin importation, (until the war I guess) interest in jersey,
It seems clear to me there were clear factions in Lcn at this time, you tell me, am I wrong, seriously, it's interesting...

In the 1930's, when Katzenberg testified, Joey A was under the radar and could get away with more risky ventures, especially when based in Brooklyn.

After an indictment in 1940 he was was forced into the limelight. He began laying low with Lansky in Saratoga Springs etc. and later moved to NJ. Going with the evidence, it seems he began focusing most of his attention to gambling. A single carpet joint (gambling hall) he ran was said to be raking in a couple of million per year (about $24 million today). Fed Bureau of Narcotics tried hard to infiltrate his inner circle unsuccessfully. Manhattan DA had bugs on Adonis and were trying to build a gambling related case.

I could be wrong, but it seems that after 1940 most arrows pointed to his gambling related activity and legitimate business. IMO he may have been trying to emulate Lansky and taking his advice. The idea he was divvying up contraband profits with the five families is pretty ludicrous.

Adonis being big into gambling is plausible...while he was in the United States. But what about after he was deported? What could have been his main activities while in Italy? What did the Italian authorities want with him? And what does gambling have to do with shipping docks? Just raising some relevant questions.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."