Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
The Mastronardo's were unique though, and pretty much all the sources have said so. They were unique for Philly. And there's no mob books dwarfing what the Mastronardo's did. Not in NY, not today at least. Theres not much sources of NY families in 2015, or even during the time when the Mastronardos were active, taking bets of 10 grand. And we aren't talking about the global mob, we're talking about Philadelphia. They weren't cutting guys off, they were beating guys up and threatening them, and they still do it today for loans and bets as low as $500. Like I said, the Mastronardo's were never kicking up to the Philly family, or any other one. Laundering money through an associate of the Genovese still isn't kicking up, it means they were using that associate to clean their illegitimate profits.

Another thing that most sources on the Mastronardos had them being unique for, in regards to Philly, were it's off shore betting accounts and international clientele. So the Mastronardos were unique in many aspects.

You need to do your research. I can give you several examples of sports books run by the NY families that had much larger handles than the Mastronardos ever did. And that includes bettors making large bets.

Notice I'm not talking about Philadelphia, though even there offshore wire rooms and Internet sites are also used. Those things are now the standard across the board wherever you look and weren't unique to the Mastronardos.

And I didn't say they were kicking up to anyone. But they weren't completely free of any ties to the mob either. Furthermore, if you look at sports betting cases in the Northeast, the Mastronardo operation - especially of their size and ability to stay largely independent of the mob - was very much the exception to the rule.

That's what I've been saying the whole time though. Hence, one of the reasons why they're unique. And if you feel like it, is it possible to point me out to some links of NY families and any others taking 10,000 bones in sports betting? I mean from like the early 80's through the late 90's, because that was pretty much the prime of the Mastronardo's business before they got indicted during the new millennium. Not examples from like the 30's & early 70's, the heyday of the mob before RICO. You are right though that using off shore rooms has become the thing nowadays, pretty much the norm. But back in those days I was referring to, few families had the international sports betting clientele that the Mastronardo's had.