Originally Posted By: Mark
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/...suicide-attempt

Former Bears quarterback Erik Kramer shot himself Tuesday in an apparent suicide attempt at a motel in Calabasas, Calif., according to NBC. Kramer, 50, reportedly didn’t suffer life-threatening wounds.

From NBC:

Two people were transported by the Los Angeles Fire Department, fire officials said, and a source identified the shot man as Kramer. A person listed in public documents as a relative could not immediately be reached.

Kramer lost his 18-year-old son, Griffen, to a heroin overdose in 2011.

Kramer played for the Bears from 1994 to 1998, leading Chicago to one playoff appearance in 1994. He played for four teams throughout his 10-year NFL career

One of the nicest genuine guys you would ever want to meet. I can't find any news on his condition but have a couple of feelers out. Soon as I find anything out I will post it.

From his ex-wife's Facebook page...

Positive update on Erik...The past two nights Dillon has visited his dad and had him all to himself for his visit...( this makes this mama bear happy) So this information I am sharing is not from any professionals it's from my son Dillon to me about his fathers status... I would guess he is still probably heavily medicated however not enough to be in the coma he was put in...I can see Dillon now testing all his responses like that of a doctor...When Dillon said dad he looked at Dillon and knew who he was...He asked him yes or no questions to which Erik responded by shaking his head...He is strapped down as not to pull out all the apparatus he needs at this time to maintain life...There is some emotional stuff that I will respectfully keep private...I'm not savvy to brain injury. I don't know the prognosis. I do know the frontal lobe is damaged as I thought was already damaged from his years
Of playing football in the NFL in the first place...The frontal lobe is the part in our brain that makes us most "human"...decisions...cognitive function...connectedness...anger control...etc...etc...I would imagine it's a long journey ahead to know what he will and won't be capable of...and I have to be honest and say I pray he walks out of that hospital...however I truly don't know if because he responds in these ways today if that's what tomorrow will bring...so I'm staying positive and please keep lifting our family and Erik and our sons up in prayer, warm thoughts, positive vibes or however you roll when you find yourself in a situation bigger than you. All of our love to everyone who just cares