Sorry to hear that, gets, unfortunately scum like that exists in every society. There's an evil aspect to human nature that a lot of people allow to control them. People complain about police brutality and abuse, which everyone rightly condemns, yet we wouldn't need police in the first place if people didn't kill, rape and steal. The higher the number of thugs, the higher number of police are needed to deal with them. When the thugs vastly outnumber the police, then you get anarchy like, unfortunately, Haiti.

Reminds me of a conversation I had the other day with a typical liberal. He was questioning me about foreign aid and I was trying to explain that it wasn't as simple as he thought it was. You can't just throw money at problems and expect them to go away. I reminded him of Live Aid, the 1985 mega-concert that was formed to raise money for starving Ethiopians. After they raised the money and sent it to Ethiopia, the Communist dictator Mengistu stole the money for himself and his thugs. The people who set up the concert never asked themselves why were the Ethiopians starving in the first place. The ever-complicit media, showed images of starving Ethiopians and blamed it on drought conditions. Nobody asked why was there a drought after the civil war and the Communists took over. They forgot how Stalin blockaded and starved the Ukraine in the 1930s. Mengistu was the cause of the mass starvation, and the money would have been better spent if it was used to hire mercenaries to go after them. Instead, the liberals enriched the thugs and left the masses worse off than before. I don't know if I got through to him; usually when I give out facts they just change the subject.

Getting back to your situation, if more righteous people like you were able to band together in Haiti, it would be a much better place.