Originally Posted By: antimafia
This morning, three reporters of La Presse updated the story on Desjardins's guilty plea. Below is the link to a translation, using Google Translate, of this interesting article.

English translation of La Presse article

You might be particularly shocked to read the tidbits toward the very end of the article, such as the claim that Sal Montagna may have had contact with Vito Rizzuto at a certain point after the murder of Gerlando Sciascia, who apparently invited Montagna to join the Bonanno Family.

Are you sure that's not a translation error?

Originally Posted By: Tandem
So does anyone care to elaborate on what is going on in the wild Wild West? I mean Canada... I read somewhere they made a guy that wasn't italian and he moved to Italy and was killed for saying he was... Any truth to this... Also, what is going on in Canada??

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada...talian-recruits

They shed fascinating and unexpected light on the perplexing and deadly struggle for control of Canada’s underworld — a struggle that has claimed 20 lives — after police in Sicily monitored conversations between dozens of mobsters, including Canadians visiting and living in the birthplace of the Mafia.

Declaring that Mr. Rizzuto “makes the f–king rules” regardless of what Mafia bosses in Sicily thought, Mr. Fernandez asserted his right to sit at the table with other “men of honour.”

“Vito ‘made’ me and my compare, Raynald,” Mr. Fernandez is heard saying on a wiretap, a reference to being officially inducted into the Mafia, a right previously reserved for Italians.

“You’re not Italian,” said the surprised man he was speaking with.

“No, no. Me and my compare,” Mr. Fernandez insisted, were “made” men despite their lineage.

I think this guy was whacked shortly thereafter in Sicily - Though supposedly the shooters were deported Canadian mafioso. Sounds like he was a little too aggressive in asserting his right to sit down with them, and then he spat in the face of generations of tradition. Same guy also said this to the Sicilians:

“Show some respect. I sit at the right hand of God, that’s how close"

The Italian authorities did say this however:

“The order to kill him came from Canada,” said Lt.-Col. Bottino, declining to say which faction might have made the decision. If he is correct, it means the war in Canada stretched beyond its borders

So they believe Rizzuto gave the okay. We don't know the exact reason WHY he was killed, though, or why they did in Sicily

Last edited by slumpy; 07/08/15 03:55 PM.