Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: bronx
more my time Pizza , rocky colovito ..what a great name! joe pepitone ..tony conigliaro..ah the good old days..

Oh, I remember Pepitone well. I was born in '59. He was in the thick of the Yankee lineup when I first took an interest in the game.

A short, true story with two of those names. It was June, 1967 and the Red Sox lead by Tony Conigliaro were playing the Yankees at the Stadium. The Yankees had horrible teams in those years and the Red Sox had not made much of a move yet but the rivalry between the two teams was already historic.

Tempers were running short in the game. A few hit batsmen and knock-down pitches added to the tumult. After one incident the two benches emptied and both teams came running out onto the field in a typical buildup to a baseball brawl (in which nothing really happens but some pushing and shoving). Well, Joe Pepitone, a boy from Brooklyn, had other ideas and he started taunting Red Sox shortstop, Rico Petrocelli, another Italian kid from Brooklyn. Rico tackled Pepitone and all hell broke loose. Fists and bodies were flying. (One of Rico's brothers worked Stadium Security and he ran out onto the field to protect Rico. Joe Pepitone swore that Rico's brother was pulling on his toupee and that his brother swore to break anyone's legs if they hurt Rico).

I firmly believe that this fight was the turning point and catalyst for the Red Sox to go on and win the pennant that season.