@Rockstar,

Very good post.
There have been efforts to remove the flag from state buildings/state seals/govt. logos,etc for decades. I think that certain sports organizations will not have championship events in certain states over this, I don't think the NCAA hosts any championship or tourney events in SC or some other states over this. This isn't a new movement, it's just picked up steam because of the outrageous act by the coward in SC.

There are some southerners of different colors who are repulsed by the image of the flag, as there are members of ethnic groups who are repulsed by the slurs they were tagged with by the mainstream culture here. And there are Southerners of different colors who see the flag as part of their region heritage and members of various ethnic groups who have co-opted slurs as part of their personal identities.,

It's an individual choice. While we certainly cannot tell people which symbols or words to identify with , we also cannot tell people which symbols and words should or should not offend them personally. I agree with you that there has to be dialogue, not this "doing it for TV" posturing from talking heads on the boob tube.
These types of honest conversations on net forums are a step in the right direction. I've said before that people shouldn't have to apologize for existing and breathing air, and it's something I really believe. I am who I am with my ideas, beliefs, and views, shaped by my personality,background,rearing,heritage,life experiences and the next man is who he is shaped by a different background and experiences. We will surely not agree on all or most things. I mean, those of us from big families won't even agree on most issues with our SIBLINGS so the idea that people will or should agree on everything is kind of a joke. I feel that healthy exchange of honest views is always a good thing and that outside of actively trying to hurt/offend people or infringe on the rights and freedoms of others that people should be free to be who they are.