My thoughts: to waste all this time and energy on an outdated flag is really stupid and not even getting to the heart of the issue as to why this kid went off and killed 9 people. A flag is fabric, it's not an attitude. Dylan Roof didn't stab 9 people with a flag pole with a Confederate Flag.

That being said I do believe that the flag has no place at government buildings. We owe our respect to one flag, the stars and stripes. The Confederacy was defeated 150 years ago, they lost. But I will say that it's not just a pure symbol of hatred and oppression. It means a great many things, including to many Southerners who carry no prejudice.

We must protect the right of private citizens to fly it if they please. Banning it doesn't solve anything. It won't bring back 9 poor souls, it won't stop it being coveted by those who hold racism in their hearts, and it would be a form of censorship.

Pull it down from the capitol and government buildings. But defacing statues? Removing 'offensive' Confederate monuments? Rename schools and buildings? No.