Quote:
The Vizzini part is very interesting and something I'd never heard before. Can I ask where you got that from? When and where has it been conclusively proven that Carlo met Luciano in Italy? By the part you responded to I assume it was after Carlo became boss? Proof for either of these claims would be nice.

I got it from Salvadore Vizzini's book: Vizzini: The Secret Lives of America's Most Successful Undercover Agent

Vizzini went on to become a very high ranking police official in the United States. He was a member of the DEA before it was called DEA. He was under Anslinger (Luciano: "Asslinger") in the Federal Bureau of Narcotics. He recounted murders he committed in the name of the law in that book, acts of espionage such as blowing up a drug warehouse and kiling everyone in it. Vizzini featured photos of himself and Luciano together in Italy. His cover was an identity named Mike Cerra, a Sicilian American US Airforce pilot. But Vizzini couldn't fly a plane. He wanted to lure Luciano in under the pretense that as a pilot he could probably move weight for him. The point here is that Vizzini backs up what he says, and his story jibes with Luciano's prison break courtesy of the OSS (CIA predecessor), Luciano's hatred for Anslinger, and even the willful blindness of the FBI. Vizzini's story contradicts none of the more well known Lucky Luciano lore.

Putting it all together, I'd say Lucky's contacts in government were in the FBI, OSS, and Navy Intelligence. Carlo's was CIA (OSS).

Can I prove Carlo met Luciano in Italy? Not by the standards of this board and forum. I read it. That's all.

Here, read this...

Carlo Gambino Traveled to Italy to Meet Lucky Luciano

"According to the FBI files:

"During the spring of 1948, reliable information obtained from a Bureau of Narcotics source indicated that CARLO GAMBINO travelled clandestinely to Palermo, Sicily, where he joined his brother, PAUL GAMBINO, who had fled to Italy to avoid prosecution in a Federal alcohol tax case. The GAMBINOS were reported to exercise control over the narcotic smuggling activities between the Mafia element in Palermo and the United States on behalf of SALVATORE LUCANIA and during 1948, both GAMBINO brothers met with LUCANIA at the home of their relatives in Palermo, Sicily. "

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."