Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
To say the "Genovese Family" controlled New York to me is a little naive.First, during the Luciano era, in order for the Genovese and Luchesse families to become what they are today a few things had to happen first.First Dutch Schutlz had to die and they absorb his Bronx and Harlem rackets. Then Louis Lepke had to die and they absorbed his Harlem and Garment center rackets. Then Longy Zwillman had to die so they could absorb the jersey rackets. Those three guys were as powerful as anyone in CN. I say Gambino was hands down more powerful for no other reason that he really pursued power. The Genovese Family was always the most americanized, hence more businessmen more business focused.After Luciano was sent away, Costello spent more time worring about his own interest and trying to fit in with high society. Lansky is off making Cuba deals and whatnot, Bugsy went Hollywood. During this time i really believe its the profaci bonnano power that is really running the commision. I dont think its any coincidence Carlo spent so much time using the commision authority to weaken profaci and bonnano...

Zwillman didn't die until the 50s, so taking over his rackets ha nothing to do with Luciano himself