Wait, was it ever stated in the show that Tony's father was a Capo? I always figured he was a soldier, albeit a highly respected one, but a soldier none the less. In the first episode, Tony says that his dad never "reached the heights" like him. And at that time, Tony himself was a capo. Proof of this is Jackie Aprile being Acting Boss, Junior being under him, Junior & Tony were sort of competing to be the next boss, but I think Junior was the official Underboss. With Tony being a highly respected and acknowledged Captain. During the last scene of the episode,where they're throwing that dinner for Junior being officially declared boss. The FBI agents are rearranging photos to fit with the changes, and once they get to Tony's picture, I believe it says "CAPO" which is crossed out, then at the top of it they write "STREET BOSS".

So, Tony's old man, may have just been a soldier, at least that's what I think. But nonetheless, he would've been killed had this been real life for robbing the card game of a made man. Christopher would've been long gone once his drug use became common knowledge amongst the family. Artie would've been whacked for pointing a hunting rifle at a boss.