Originally Posted By: DB

If it wasn't for JFK brilliant mind of understanding the downside of wars and world politics and Eisenhowers brilliant mind and knowledge of the military , today's world would be a horrible place as a nuclear war 100% would have happened without these 2 great presidents . For all their sins, they get a pass from me for saving tens of millions of Americans . My family is from East Harlem so without JFK as president I wouldn't be alive today to be honest , scary thought man

President Kennedy read the book "Seven Days in May" in 1962 and said it could happen in the US but that it wouldn't under his watch. The book and movie is about a planned military coup against the President because of a disarmament treaty with Soviets. About the book, JFK confided in a friend that if a President had 3 Bay of Pigs-like incidents a coup was conceivable. One of the authors was a reporter and had inside knowledge of JFK's friction with hawkish military leaders. Some military brass as well of a lot of Americans were upset about a soviet satellite just 90 miles from US shores. Even though the missile crises was averted, as long as a communist regime was still present it was viewed as a loss.