Originally Posted By: Serpiente
Thats the whole thing , who made Skinny and are any of them really made. This is a other big reason the old guard(SCARFO GUYS) don't see most of these guys as anything

I think the only induction that was really in question was Ralph Natale. Merlino was inducted by John Stanfa (along with Michael Ciancaglini) in 1992, but I can't remember what month. Stanfa hoped that by giving them their buttons and making Joey Chang the underboss that he could keep the Young Turks satisfied. He was also basically using the old saying "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer".

Stanfa gets arrested in 1994 and is awaiting trial, there is no leadership atop the family. Ralph Natale is released around the same time, and he gets "made" by Joey. That's where the problem lies, because Merlino was only a soldier himself at that time. Stevie Mazzone and Johnny Chang would go on to be made sometime after while Merlino and Natale held official leadership positions.

But Serp, I can definitely understand why the old guard doesn't respect Merlino (or some of the other younger guys). They all committed murders and earned for the family, and when it was time to go away for long jail sentences they kept quiet and served their time. Now they are back on the streets (and increasing in numbers) and they feel like they should get what's owed to them.