Originally Posted By: moneyman
Genovese NJ situation is most interesting to me, from what I gather Borelli or Barbato seem to be the biggest players in NJ for the westside - I would assume Ninny has a lot of the bookmaking action in Toms River area as well.

Johnny Barbato's shot. Ninni will never retire. Ever. Some guys do, some guys don't. He won't.

The DeVita crew is strong in Tom's River, but they're an interesting case. I've heard that he was kinda handcuffed from making more Sicilian-born members into that crew (which he'd LOVE to do). The Genovese is the most homegrown family, and it works for them. Just look at the charts and it tells you all you need to know. Most of their members are born here. Vince, in particular, had a thing about keeping things local. He obviously picked that up from Benny, and he obviously passed it on to the next generation.

Now, there are certainly exceptions (DeVito, Barney, et al.). But for the most part, they're homegrown, like the 1990's Yankees. And the most powerful, like the 1990's Yankees lol.

Originally Posted By: moneyman
I recall a knowledgable poster here last year claiming that QD had a ton of influence / control of garbage in North Jersey and parts of PA

Dom's kinda shot, too. But he was still semi-active through Danny Pagano. For the past few years, Danny was sitting in for Dom at Dom's old spots in the Bronx constantly, including the place at the end of the six train by Pelham Bay Park.

That was Dom's headquarters, Dom was mostly homebound, and Danny wasn't making that drive every day from the Jersey/Rockland border for nothing. It speaks volumes as to who the new conduit between Jersey and New York was (kinda like Prisco's old position). But Danny just copped out to three years.

The guy running Streaky's old crew is as heavy as any Westside guy in Jersey today. And you can't really count the other Danny because he's also semi-retired and a former acting boss.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.