Originally Posted By: Mark
Admittedly, I know little to nothing about horse racing. However, I heard some "experts" discussing this today and they were citing more rest for the horses was needed in between races for a better and more fair performance from the field. Again, just repeating a theory I heard today on sports talk radio.

That's what they're telling us. But trust me, it's about ratings and having these races coincide with other big betting events in Vegas. They couldn't care less about these animals.

This is no different than Roger Goodell looking to expand to an 18 game NFL season. If that were to ever happen, the Super Bowl would just "coincidentally" fall on President's Day Weekend, which is historically one of the busiest weekends in Vegas every year. But like I said, that's just a "coincidence."

Call me cynical. But I'm around horses and sports all my life, legal and otherwise (and when I say otherwise, I naturally mean as an observer grin ). And this reeks of greed to me.

For all we know, they're looking to push the Belmont back to the Baseball All-Star break, which is historically the slowest betting week in Vegas every year. It would boost an otherwise slow weekend.

No matter how you cut it, it's about the money and not about the horses.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.