As others have said Joey would have been a disaster as a boss and I doubt he would of had the support as other more knowledgable posters stated . He was the Gotti of the 70s , was proud to be a gangster and it wasn't just a money thing.

But wow did Al make out ( sorry said Larry before) , got out of that Scarpa rat infested family where I'm sure he would have been pinched , landing in an ideal spot where some of their guys actually do what's best for the group and not their own personal greed . I wouldn't be surprised if that's a big reason so few of their guys flipped . Look what happened to guys like Scars and all those Luchesse guys during Casso where first chance they could , their already mega rich bosses made up any BS reason to take their lucrative rackets and end any $ that would go to support their wife / children etc. , talk about stupidity , you do that to a guy with a family when he is arguably at his worst from a mental standpoint and what do you expect them to do, remain loyal ? It's also a good reminder how the smart ones operate , bought tons of real estate , kind of hard to take that illegally lol .

Then their are guys like Manna who probably up until somewhat recently had someone managing his book. Even though he was gone he wasn't tossed aside and forgotten

I feel like i heard a wiretap where someone said your family is only as strong as its boss and im not sure guys like Gigante , Crea and then on the flip side completely moronic and greedy guys like Casso and Vic show the validity in that comment, something I really haven't thought about until more recently .It all comes down to management I guess, lol , and the bosses that put the family in front of personal greed aren't doing so bad today

Ok sorry for that rant , having said that there are so many Persicos now , doing a lot of the legit stuff required to be successful today . At one time Persico and Scarpa brought that fam to its knees , but now Persico as the figure head maybe isn't such a bad thing while others make calls behind the scenes . I don't think they are on their death bed like many think , it could always be worse , look at the Bonnano's lol

Last edited by DB; 05/10/15 05:35 PM.