Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Pizza,

Do you think news coverage of actual gangsters and events did more to create this American fascination with LCN or do you think it was more because of fictional gangsters that crossed over into pop culture in film and tv? or a combination of both?

Probably a combination. But it was the fictional "man of honor" portrayals more than anything else. Although it's an interesting dichotomy. The third act of "Goodfellas" showed them true to form, and yet it still created a generation of wannabes.

Fast forward another ten years, and we're seeing Tony Soprano banging hookers and walking outside in his underwear to pick up his morning paper (while scratching his ass, to boot). Now, that's a FAR CRY from Don Corleone in his tuxedo doling out favors to the common man, and yet it still influenced some kids into thinking it's a great life.

But to be fair, it didn't start with the gangster movie. It started with the old cowboy movies. There will always be people who feel the need to identify and root for the guy with the black hat on.

My personal opinion is that if you're dumb enough to become a criminal based on a movie that you saw, that you probably would have ended up a criminal even if you hadn't seen it.

People HATE hearing this. But most criminals are stupid. I don't give a shit what anyone says.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.