http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cou...e-31203368.html

Murder trial jury shown revolver retrieved from 'burnt out' vehicle close to shooting scene.

The jury in a murder trial have been shown a revolver that was retrieved from a "burnt out" vehicle close to where a Dublin man was shot more than two years ago.

Keith O'Neill (39) from Lissadell Drive, Drimnagh in Dublin has pleaded not guilty to murdering John Wilson on September 28th, 2012 at his home on Cloverhill Road, Ballyfermot Dublin 10.
Taking to the stand, Garda Denis Sweetman told Mr Conor Devally SC prosecuting that he was directed to take charge of the viewing of CCTV showing a dark vehicle at Cherry Orchard Crescent on September 28th.
Garda Sweetman pointed out a figure emerging in a dark jacket and smoke appearing from the left hand side of the screen.
Detective Garda Mark Collander from the ballistics section of the garda technical bureau described a 0.357 Ruger 100 revolver that was retrieved from a Volkswagen Passat.
Detective Collander confirmed with Mr Devally that he had cause to examine a vehicle on September 28th 2012.
"The vehicle had been burnt out I could get a strong smell of petrol or accelerant from the vehicle," he said.
"I retrieved a revolver and I rendered the firearm safe. The same gun was showing six cylinders discharged," he added.
The court heard a burnt striped garment and black gloves were also recovered from the vehicle.
The trial, which continues this afternoon before a jury of five women and seven men, is expected to last two weeks.
Online Editors