Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Well, as someone on another thread correctly pointed out, the freight company he's president of was likely acquired through mob influence, i.e. union connections, intimidation, etc. Would he be where he is now without how his grandfather was? I'm not so sure.

Yeah, but the line has to be drawn somewhere, Ivy. I mean, why did the Kennedys get to go from bootleggers to a political fucking dynasty in a single generation? They didn't have doors opened for them with "dirty" money?

And I realize that you loathe the Kennedys for their politics. Maybe I'm being a little too cute by using them as the example. But like I said, they did it in a single generation. This Gigante kid grew up completely sheltered from the life. All of the grandkids did (by all of the brothers). Sure, wiseguy money opened doors for him with the freight company. But so did hooch money open doors for the Kennedys. So if it only takes a single generation for the Irish, three generations isn't enough for the Italians?

Hey, the Irish got here first, they secured the civil service jobs and locked up New York City politics. If the Italians had arrived here first and had the benefit of speaking a variation of the English language (as the Irish did), we would have done the same thing. You take care of your own first. I don't give a shit what anyone says. It's human nature and it's okay. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.