Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Originally Posted By: billymari

As for the apartment Gotti used to conduct meetings, he probably assumed that the F.B.I would never bug a civilian's home. Well, we all know that ain't the case.

He should have known better. If he knew or suspected that the Ravenite was bugged, he should have been wary of talking in that apartment, which was right upstairs--especially since it was rented to the widow of a Gambino soldier whose name logically would be known to the cops.

Worse, he really didn't conduct much business there (he did on his walk/talks). The transcripts of the bugs show he used the place to brag and swagger ("I'll sever his MF head..." "I killed him because he didn't come in when I called...")

And it wasn't just any civilian's apartment. The old lady's husband was a Gambino associate and the caretaker at the Ravenite since forever. He was only dead for a little over a year or two when they planted the bug.

This is a guy (Mikey Cirelli) who chased detectives out of the club with a baseball bat years earlier when he caught them bugging the place. I'm sure that little bit of irony played no small part in the Feds decision to bug that apartment.

The Feds have nothing but money and time. And they never forget anything. Bugging that particular apartment was a double victory for them. They're very spiteful like that.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.